It’s true, everything is better with bacon. It’s that time of year again that roasting vegetables becomes an acceptable alternative to grilling vegetables. Roasting root vegetables is a good way to sweeten up the flavor and they look so pretty on the plate. Beets and cauliflower have a nice contrasting color and when roasted they compliment each other very well.
– 2-3 large beets washed and cut into small pieces.
– 1/2 head of cauliflower washed and cut into small pieces.
– 1/2 sweet onion sliced
– 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
– 5 sprigs of fresh thyme, center stem removed
– 4 pieces of bacon cooked and cut into small pieces
– 1 Tbsp of reserved bacon grease
-salt and pepper
1. Gently mix together in a large bowl the beets, cauliflower, onion, garlic, thyme, and bacon with bacon grease and a drizzle of olive oil with salt and pepper to taste.
2. Spread the vegetables out evenly on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 23-30 minutes, stirring once. Depending on how large you cut the pieces, the time may be longer. Make sure the beets are easily pierced with a fork before serving.