For dinner tonight I wanted to make something that had a lot of flavor as well as used up some random vegetables and ingredients I had in the fridge. The dish turned out even better than I thought it would, so much flavor and depth. My husband was pretty reluctant to let me put kalamata olives in it, but it really brought the dish to a new level. If you are really opposed to the olives, you can add some capers to enhance the flavor or skip altogether. To serve I roasted some vegetables on the side, but it would go great over a bed of rice or roasted spaghetti squash.
– 4 chicken breasts
– 1/2 cup white wine
-2 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
– 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
– 1/2 onion, diced
– 1 hungarian or green pepper, diced
– 2 roma tomatoes
– 1 8oz can of diced tomatoes, with juice
– 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme, center stem removed
– 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
– 8-10 kalamata olives, sliced
– 1 cup ricotta cheese
– 10-12 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Brown the chicken breasts in a hot skillet coated with olive oil about 4 minutes on each side, remove and set aside.
2. Add garlic, ginger, and thyme to pan and saute a few minutes, add white wine and de-glaze the skillet. Simmer for a few minutes to cook off the wine.
3. Add onions and peppers to skillet with a 1/2 tbsp of butter and saute with red pepper flakes.
4. Add diced tomatoes and can of diced tomatoes with olives, stir and simmer until heated through.
5. Place chicken back in skillet and reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes flipping once.
6. While the chicken is simmering make the ricotta topping. Heat small cast iron skillet and saute 1 tsp minced garlic and shiitake mushrooms with a pad of butter. Simmer for 5 minutes before removing from heat.
7. Mix mushroom mixture with ricotta cheese and dollop on top of chicken.
8. To finish dish, put skillet in the oven on broil to heat the ricotta for a few minutes, garnish with fresh thyme.
The mushroom and ricotta cheese topping was a complete after-thought. I wanted to put the mushrooms in the red sauce, but forgot about them. Turns out mushrooms, garlic, butter, and cheese is delicious, I will definitely use this again in other dishes.