On days that I want a substantial breakfast without the carbs, a breakfast salad is my go-to. It’s easy, delicious, and filling without making you feel guilty. For this breakfast salad there is of course a side of bacon to go with it. I used romaine lettuce, but you can use any greens you may have available. Add as many vegetables as you would like, this is a simple starter salad to get you going. Instead of a fat filled dressing, the roasted red peppers, lemon juice, and egg yolks combine beautifully in the bowl to do the trick. This makes 2 salads.
8 slices of thick cut bacon
1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 cup of red onions, diced
4 slices of roasted red peppers, diced
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 avocado, diced
fresh cilantro and lemon wedge for garnish
1. Cook bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. It will take less time if sliced thin.
2. In a heavy skillet take a small amount of the bacon grease from the pan to saute onions and garlic for a few minutes.
3. In your serving bowl combine lettuce, diced red peppers and a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
4. When bacon is crispy cut 2-4 slices into small pieces and add to salad with cooked red onions.
5. Cook eggs sunny-side up in skillet over medium-low heat with bacon grease to keep from sticking.
6. Top salad with avocado, eggs, cilantro, and a squirt of lemon. Breaking yolks to mix with the salad is the best dressing!
Enjoy and Stay Healthy!
This sounds delicious! I love a good brunch salad!! I make one that I mimicked from a great restaurant here in town…..it is radicchio salad with 6 minute egg, manchego cheese, bacon lardons, and a homemade goddess dressing (heavy on tarragon) YUM!
Sounds AMAZING with the tarragon and bacon, thanks for sharing!